Wednesday 28 September 2011

new focus

So it's been close to a month since my last post. It's not that i haven't been training, but have been focused on the many other things going on in my life (mostly Uni)... So I've taken this time to re-focus on my fitness goals and will sort of 'start afresh'. This means (1) a new training program, (2) more focus on my nutrition, and (3) more time learning the movements and working on becoming a better coach. These are the three parts that i hope to concentrate on as my Uni work load decreases and I have more time to do so.

(1) A new training program-
I feel i should be ramping up my training if i want to reach my goals of making regionals in 2013 and the world games by 2016. So after a 10 months of getting to know my body and what i can/can't handle training wise, I have come up with a program for myself that i hope to follow to keep my performance heading in a upward direction as opposed to what it feels like at the moment. Horizontal.

It consists of:
-2 days on: 1 day off
-The 2 days of training will consist of 2/3 workouts
-1 workout will be a met-con programmed from the box (Cooee), the 2nd will be a '100 workout' (an idea that i have come up with to focus on building both skill and work capacity for a movement), the 3rd will be a pure strength or skill session.

The 'hundred' workouts:
I lay awake one night thinking of how i can improve a particular movement the most efficient way. It hit me, Do it... A LOT! seems blatantly obvious doesn't it. I figured doing a hundred reps of one movement for time would be a sufficient number to improve that particular movement and create that intensity that we are after. The 'hunderd' workouts could range from anywhere between 100 seconds (if doing air squats) to a maximum of 2 hours (me doing 100 muscle ups!). But on the whole they should be around the 5 to 20 minute mark. The perfect time space. An example of this is my first two '100s' workouts:
1) 100 KB swings @20kg for time: 5:26
2) 100 pull-ups for time: 6:32

The idea is to do these again in the near future and work on getting that time down and/or doing it at a higher weight. It's cool cause you can do any movement you feel you need to work on (100 pistols for time, 100 snatches etc..) I think this will be a good addition to my training program and a way to keep myself motivated and to improve particular movements that may be a weakness for me. I do get that it contradicts the 'constantly varied' ideology that crossfit promotes, but that is what the other workouts are for.. this is more of a idea purely for training purposes. See if it can help you?

1 comment:

  1. I like it!! The new focus and the set goals... and the 100's. One thing I clearly remember from paddling is the reminder that it's the focus on good technique when you're tired that reinforces the movement/ efficiency of your body to do that work... so the 100's sounds like a great way to achieve that - so long as the quality of the first is the same as the last. :)

    btw - I'd be the one taking 2 hours to do 100 burpees... my weakness! haha.

    ReplyDelete